7.4.12

DIY Leather Lunch-bag

Ever since I saw this post on Kaye's blog last year, I've been dying to do this DIY!  So yes, this project has been a long time coming; S will vouch for me here since I've been voicing my intentions to carry it out for a few months now.  Fortunately for a lack of plans this Easter long-weekend, I could finally do it!

Inspired by Anve (and then some more by Jil Sander), this is a simple DIY which won't cost you much time or money.  Scroll down for the instructions and then drool over the supple metallic leather at the end.

DIY LEATHER LUNCH-BAG   
DSC_0511

Materials
Rustle up a big piece of leather (or pleather, or anything else you might fancy it in), some supa-glue, scissors, 4 press-studs, and a sewing machine.  You might want to equip your machine with some leather needles, or you'll end up with broken sharps all over the place.

DSC_0482

Measure and cut out a large rectangle of leather (mine was about 45cm x 70cm) - the easiest way is to find a paper bag or a box which is similar in size to what you'd like your bag to be, then use those dimensions (lay it out as if you're going to wrap the box).

DSC_0484

Fold it lengthwise with the good sides touching, and sew two of the sides together.  You should have a large leather pocket with an open top.

DSC_0485

Turn your leather pocket inside-out and invert the bottom corners inside, like the picture on the left.  If you have a box to put inside, it makes it easier to shape.  If you've done it right, the outside should look like the picture on the right.  Make sure the seams are in the middle of the side panels.

DSC_0486DSC_0490

Glue the base together from the outside (as shown) as well as the inside.

DSC_0492DSC_0494

I used a piece of leather to hide the glue on the inside, as well as to give the base a bit more structure.

DSC_0552

Finally, mark out and glue on your press studs where the leather folds at the top of the bag.  I put two on each side, however you could just put one in the middle to stop your goods from rolling out of your bag.

DSC_0551

Et voila!


Now you have yourself a sexy leather lunch-bag.

DSC_0543DSC_0519
DSC_0504
DSC_0500DSC_0508
DSC_0497


Roll, fold, or bunch the top and off you go.


Happy Easter folks!

xx T
SHARE THIS POST

23 comments:

  1. Love it! Looks amazing xx
    Zoe
    http://nobigtruth.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO GOOD. your best diy yet T! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought you'd love this one, Chow!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Love it guys, looks amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a creative and chic idea, everything about this bag is amazing, I'll try to make one too, thank you so much for this inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You did an amazing job xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the colour of the leather. great idea



    http://herpersona.blogspot.com.au/
    http://herpersona.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. really nice and easy!! LOVE IT*
    -
    http://ritafashiondays.blogspot.com
    http://ritafashiondays.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Far out that looks like something I'd find in a boutique in melbourne.
    1) you're amazing, and
    2) I think I could actually maybe pull this one off ;)

    Thanks for sharing :)
    Happy easter!

    x Stace
    tee+fame

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are very talenteg person!:)
    Iam imprested!:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea! It would be a great clutch too!

    Ash :o)
    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It currently is a clutch ;)
      Although I think I made one a little smaller, it would be quite a good size too!

      xx T

      Delete
  11. Great job on the bag! Looks amazing. Love these style of clutches right now x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely brilliant! Such a stylish way to carry your lunch, hehe.
    May I ask where you purchase your leather from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessie!

      The leather was from eBay (seller: thepinkcaravan) - although there are heaps of different leathers on there for really good prices :)

      Delete
  13. I really like this idea, i'm going to try and make it using mock ostrich leather in red, not sure if i can bare using it for a lunch bag or not but either way its going to be amazing (i hope) :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just went to my local fabric store yesterday and bought some bright turquoise faux leather. (they didnt have metallic). I went home and made one of these bad boys!
    turned out great :)
    thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!
      So happy it worked out fine :D

      xx

      Delete
  15. I absolutely love this DIY! Once I'm able to start sewing this will definitely be one of the first pieces I make. :) If you don't mind my asking, what model sewing machine is that? I'm currently in the market for my first one.
    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!
      That's so good to hear - hope you get sewing soon!
      However, I do not recommend my sewing machine as it is the crappest of crap things and it struggles at the best of times. It's an old Brother model (a base model which they don't stock anymore). Although brother is quite ok in terms of brands!

      Delete

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.